Senior Legal Counsel EMEA
Job Code: 10084BR
Primary Location: Geneva, Geneve
Job Type: Full Time
An exciting opportunity has arisen within Boart Longyear Legal Department for an experienced Lawyer to lead our regional legal team in dealing with a large diversity of matters across EMEA. Reporting directly to the VP General Counsel based in Canada, the successful candidate will supervise a Regional Counsel, for the performance of the following responsibilities:
- Regional legal lead :
- Pilot the group legal strategy within the region.
- Align regional specificities with corporate legal policies.
- Understand and apply African mining codes and monitor changes in law and regulations.
- Demonstrate leadership and proactive thinking on both commercial and legal matters to support and advise the Regional Management on strategic issues.
- Drive synergies across the organization by defining best contractual practices and deliver training to targeted audience on contract management.
- Draft and negotiate any type of commercial agreement to support Boart Longyear core businesses’ activities. Ensure the respect of BLY corporate contractual guidelines.
- Implement post audit remediation plans with targeted department to ensure consistency and contract compliance, particularly for sensitive vendors across the region (custom broker, freight forwarder).
- Manage the regional entities portfolio for annual compliance requirements (financial approvals, shareholders resolutions and local filings).
- Act as corporate secretary as needed.
- Provide assistance to the Tax and Finance departments for the preparation of any supporting documentation related to intercompany transactions.
- Analyze and mitigate any risks associated with statutory obligations.
- Support new country implementation and compliance risk management.
- Manage a litigation portfolio across multiple jurisdictions.
- Define litigation tactics and best procedures to implement in various countries.
- Effectively manage outside counsel network.
- Promote and enforce ethical behavior in accordance with the Company’s Code of Conduct as well as compliance with laws and regulations where the Company operates.
- Advise on matters including bribery risks, trade and export compliance, money laundering and data privacy (GDPR).
- Manage internal investigations and oversee/implement corrective actions in coordination with other functional and operating personnel.
The ideal candidate:
- delivers results in a fast-paced environment;
- demonstrates a pragmatic, solutions-oriented approach to lawyering and an ability to dive deep and simplify complex legal issues; and
- Provides sound commercial and legal judgment.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- A minimum of 10 years post qualification experience in private practice in a leading law firm and/or as in-house counsel role, in a multinational environment
- Outstanding communication and legal writing skills in English and French
- Admission to the Swiss or another EU country Bar Association, with a strong legal background in common law and civil law systems
- Thorough understanding of the legal landscape in European and African markets
- Strong contractual drafting and negotiation expertise
- Logical and quick thinker, with a clear and concise communication style
- Demonstrated success at developing, executing a vision or strategy and delivering the right communication throughout the organization
- Proven ability to propose operational solutions to the business in accordance with the corporate strategy
- Known for displaying the highest level of integrity and for inspiring trust among peers, subordinates and other colleagues
- Ability to function autonomously
- Demonstrate outstanding project management skills